Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Just another manic Monday




Well last week ended, and this week began similar to the week before.  The wonderful new medicine I was prescribed worked for a few days, and then suddenly quit working.  Luckily I had an appointment scheduled for Monday and I went to see my psychiatrist.  He explained that I must have a “smart liver” because over the coarse of that first week, my liver learned how to metabolize the medication, breaking it down into pieces so small, the my body didn’t register I even had the med in my system.  So he doubled my dose, and Monday night I slept like a baby, waking up refreshed. 

Last night, not so good. I went to bed at 9:30, and by 4 I was unable to get myself back to sleep. At 5:30, I gave up and came down to make my coffee (Starbucks new Vanilla coffee with splenda and vanilla soymilk = the same taste as a skinny vanilla latté made with soy – one of my faves!).  I also figured that I’d write about my experiences of late.

See, though I have been manic, I’ve also had a week full of changes and compliments about my “new” body.  On Saturday, my husband and I went shopping for my little one’s fifth birthday on Friday (I told her that instead of turning five, she has to go back to one.  She’s not cooperating with that idea.)  We went to Old Navy because of the 4 and 6 dollar specials on leggings, and he needed a new pair of jeans for work.

We got his Jeans and a pair of “jeggings” for my daughter, and then I decided to look at clearance.  With 30% off the lowest markdowns (most under 5 bucks), I grabbed a few t-shirts, a pair of sweatpants, and a pair of leggings.  I figured I would take them home, try it on, and then return what didn’t fit.  Imagine my surprise when EVERYTHING fit perfectly.  I am officially able to shop in regular size clothing stores!

Then, last Friday the Church Secretary watched me walk down the hall to get my daughter from pre-school.  She told me, wow, you are moving really great.  I told this to my husband, and he told me that I don’t waddle any more (Um, thanks?).

Over the weekend, I noticed I have shoulders (Hey, I haven’t seen them since high school!), I can wrap a towel around myself after a shower, and after I sit on the floor, my tailbone hurts because I don’t have padding around it as much.

Yesterday, my older daughter needed some blood work done at the doctors’ office.  While the nurse was working, she said to me, “Mom, I see you weighing yourself every time you come in here.  How much have you lost?”  I told her around 58 lbs, but I am not truly sure because I weigh myself after breakfast and lunch with my shoes on.  Then she asked, “How are you doing it?”  I told her I had a lap-band done about 6 months ago.  She told me the whole office had noticed and everyone is happy for me.

Then, last night, I went to my weight-loss surgery support group and was told that my excitement of my surgery was infectious and that I just light up the room and motivate others.  Then, another person added that I just glow.  Though I made jokes to deflect the compliments, inside I feel so proud and happy about my accomplishments.  Its comments like these that fuel me to keep plugging away.

No comments:

Post a Comment