Tuesday, November 30, 2010

New med news!

I’ve had an exciting few weeks when it comes to both my mental health and my weight-loss.  The reason it’s so exciting is because it’s related.  A few weeks ago, I went to my psychiatrist and we decided to lower my level of the atypical antipsychotic Seroqual.  Now, Seroqual has been my life saver.  Three years ago, when I was last hospitalized for bipolar issues, we started me on the medication.  Over the last three years, I have had my level raised until I was on the maximum dose available.  My current psychiatrist took a look at that and the side effects I’ve experienced (130 lb weight gain, high cholesterol and triglycerides, and pre-diabetes), and told me when the time was right, we would back me off.  And so it has started.

Last week, I started backing off my dose.  I had some withdrawal symptoms (upset stomach, trouble sleeping, feeling “out of it”), but I tried to balance this out by sticking to my diet, adding extra exercise, and keeping to my sleep schedule.  This week, I feel great.  I’m more alert, have more energy and the scale has started going down again.  In fact, this past weekend, I had to go clothes shopping.  I bought a size 22 pair of jeans, smaller band bra, and a size 18/20 shirt.  That’s a drop of 5 sizes on the bottom and 6 sizes on top, and a 4 inch drop in band size for my bra since March 22!  Not too shabby!

For the next several months, I will be dropping off my Seroqual 100 mgs at a time, giving myself a little more than a month to get “level”, before we move me down the next step.  So far so good!  Altogether, this may take about 45 weeks, but it is totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment